Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I'm Half Well Read!

There was an internet survey of 10 books you must read before you die...I've read half of them; as a general non-reader, I'm impressed with myself. Even if the list is not exactly loaded with what are commonly considered literary classics.

Here's the list:
Gone With the Wind*
Lord of the Rings*/2
Harry Potter
The Stand*
The DaVinci Code*
To Kill a Mocking Bird*
Angels and Demons
Atlas Shrugged
Catcher in the Rye*x2
The Bible



I only read half of the Lord of the Rings -- reading about trolls, elves, wzards, hobbits, and whatnot got boring after a while (allegory be damned)...the movies had started being released, and frankly, I preferred the eye candy.

But, I did read the Catcher in the Rye twice. Once when I was 15, once again when I was 30...I'm sure I'll get more out of it at 45. It was an eye-opener re-reading this work...as a 15 year old, to me, Holden Caufield was a rebel and an anti-hero -- as a 30 year old, to me, he was just an insecure prick. Why this is mandatory high school reading is a mystery to me. I don't think a 15 year old can see the intracacies of what Salinger is trying to convey...at least this guy couldn't.

The Stand and DaVinci Code were good page turners...I enjoyed them both for what they are.

Angels and Demons and Atlas Shrugged are definitely on my to-read list...Harry Potter and The Bible, not so much.

Gone With the Wind is by far the crown jewel of this list...great book. A book so good it made me hate the movie (which is widely considered in the Top 3 movies ever made, but then again Citizen Kane did nothing for me).


So, Intrepid Readers, which of these have you read? and what were your impressions?

1 comment:

Vergie Bridges said...

Oh Big T Dog, this post made me feel like I am not as dumb as I feel because i read over half of these books:

Catcher in the Rye - Were you eavesdropping in my head? I feel exactly the same way.

The Stand - I had nightmares for days after I read the chapter on the virus spreading. Joe in the movie theater sneezes on Suzies popcorn and Suzie inadvertently brushes against Chad. 2 days later they are all dead!!

Divinci Code/Angels & Demons - Good read, esp if you want to make friends with strangers on the metro.

The Bible - Well, I haven't read it from Genesis to Revelations, but does that make me love Jesus (Gee-sus not Hey-zoos) less?

Harry Potter - Get your Wizardy on Friend.

Lord of the Rings - Boring? Them is fightin' words right there.