Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 1, Part 1




So I've checked in and now Andrea is here. She is dead tired and has some event she should attend tonight.
The weather is PERFECT. About 70 degs, slight breeze, sunny. Our hotel and room are amazing. Our balcony overlooks the Mediterranean and the water is so clear you can see the bottom.

Being a stranger in a strange land is always a bit nerve racking, especially when you don't know the lay of the land and can't speak or read the language. In other words, It's all Greek to me.

They didn't even run me through customs here! (Maybe they expect the Gestapo that is Belgian TSA to catch all malfeasors)

Some Car Service guys trild to hustle me for a ride to the hotel. I showed them a printout of my hotel, then asked for a price -- 90 fuckin' Euro! That's like $150-$160. When I told them I'd take my chances with a taxi, they balked -- they said I'd be charged per item, etc etc.

Turns out the cabbie I had spoke no English and he took me exactly where I needed to be in a new (albeit) yellow Mercedes. I'm guessing that was a left-over side-effect from the Olympics. And, it only cost me 25E.

I'm now on the balcony waiting for the sun to set, listening to the waves lap up against the rocks. This is very cool -- and I haven't even done anything yet.

1 comment:

G & B said...

I know the feeling. The scariest part is buying stuff. First, you have no idea how much it costs. Then you have to give them the largest bill you have and pray to God they give you the right change back.